Friday, March 30, 2007

Friday Five: March 30 '07

This week has seen more bad then good in my music listening. So, to offset all the crap being thrown at us by the record industry I've dug out the best five records I could find. But hey, you knew that already, didn't you? Enjoy these records, see you all back here on Monday.




Kathy Diamond - Miss Diamond to You

No, no! Wait, come back! I swear, this isn't one of those crappy LeAnn Rimes-style country albums. In fact, it isn't a country album at all. Quite the contrary, Miss Diamond to You is probably the best indie-electro-pop album I've heard since Hot Chip's The Warning. Speaking of Hot Chip, thats a great place to start when trying to describe Kathy Diamond's sound. Pretty cleaver how I worked that in, don't you think? Sadly this fab LP won't be out for another month or so, but I'm sure that if you're resourceful you can track down a copy before then.

Listen: Kathy Diamond - Over (MP3 link)


Frog Eyes - Tears of the Valedictorian

On is Frog Eye's umpteenth release they have actually won me over. After being turned off by the chaotic craziness earlier efforts their new one sounds more like Swan Lake or - dare I say it - Wolf Parade. As I type I'm sure a group of hipsters from BC have put a bounty on my head... Either way, Carey Mercer and Spencer Krug (and the rest) have a real winner on their hands here. Check this out just pretend its one a new Spencer Krug side project.

Listen: Frog Eyes - Bushels (MP3)




Rob Crow - Living Well

Yep, Pinback frontman has pulled a Thom York and releasing a solo album. The good news is also sort of the bad news in this case. The album sounds like...well...a Pinback album. A really good Pinback album, but still a Pinback album. Let's throw in one more for good luck, shall we? "Pinback!" Through and through this LP is really consistently good, twangy, indie rock. Tracks like "I Hate You, Rob Crow" (see below!) make you think back to the first time you heard "Microtonic Wave" and smile. This will be a big hit at partys with your friends who dug last year's Boys and Girls in America. Namely, good music to hang out and get drunk to.

Listen: Rob Crow - I Hate You, Rob Crow (MP3)


The Harlem Shakes - Burning Birthdays

Forget Tokyo Police Club. Cold War Kids, who? The Harlem Shakes will be the new hot thing. Sounding a whole lot like Voxtrot on this new EP, they absolutely blew me away. If anything, Burning Birthdays left me wanting to see them live...conveniently they're touring, EVERYWHERE! So don't be lazy, go out and boogie with those patent indie dance moves.

Listen: The Harlem Shakes (MP3 Link)




Devin the Dude - Waiting to Inhale

Ironically, the feature that really catches my attention on a hip hop album usually isn't the lyrics. It's the production. I find that I'm always drawn back to LP's that have really interesting backing music (see: J Dilla, Ghostface, Mf Doom, Madlib, Zion I). Well add Devin the Dude's latest release to the list. Yeah, we all know he's been around for a million years and has some solid lyrics to top off those backing tracks. But still, the production on this album alone makes it worthy of the Friday Five. Yeah that's right, it's the second edition of this column and it's getting a reputation already. What can I say? I'm hot shit.

Listen: Devin the Dude (MP3 Link)


No comments: