Thursday, April 12, 2007

Rant: If Quinton Is A DJ, Grindhouse Is A Dance Floor

After my extended vacation I finally managed to squeeze in some time to go see Grindhouse - the new Tarantino/Rodriguez double feature. First off, let me say wow! It's a fantastic movie...go see it right now...twice!

But what I found really amazing was the music in Death Proof (Tarantino's half of the movie). I know, you're thinking "big whoop, Pulp Fiction had good music too."

Well voice in my head, you're half right.

Pulp Fiction did have a great soundtrack, but in Death Proof Tarantino's inner music nerd really comes out. Not only are the song selections amazing but a huge part of the dialog and story really focuses on the music in the film. Don't worry, it's not forced. One of the main characters is a DJ - the cool kind, not the retarded morning ones.

I don't want to ruin anything, but let's just say that Tarantino comes very close to rivaling the "Stuck in the Middle with You" scene from Reservoir Dogs.

Ok, thats enough critical fellating for one night.

Listen: Smith - Baby It's You (MP3)
Listen: Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick & Tich - Hold Tight (MP3)

Grindhouse is in theaters now, Death Proof's soundtrack is now available too.